Name means The Lord is God
God uses a disaster of locusts and perhaps a few other things to get the attention of Judah over her sins. He call them to repent. When they repent, he blesses them. There is a greater blessing, and greater judgment coming.
Day of the Lord – 1:15, 2:1, 2:11, 2:31, 3:14
- We don’t know
- Possibly the same time as Amos, Hosea, Isaiah and Micah, which would place it in the reign of Jeroboam II
- Between books of Hosea and Amos, which are the same time period – see Amos 4:6-10
Famous verses and fragments
2:13, 2:25, 2:28-32, 3:14
Chapters 1-2:11 The Total Disaster of the Day of the Lord
- What nation is this about?
- Is it a judgment for sin?
- V 8 – Lament like a virgin girded with sackcloth for the husband of her youth
- V 9 – Bad enough that the House of the Lord is not offering
- Priests, elders – Corporate repentance, fast, solemn assembly because of the Day of the Lord
- No crops, animals dying
- Locusts or men in Chapter 2?
Chapter 2:12-17 A Call to Repentance
- Corporate and individual repentance
- Everyone must come, even those recently married
- V 17 – Priests appeal to the Lord for His honor
Chapter 2:18-27 Mercy Given
- Blessings of Food, Water, for man and beast
- V 20 – Assyrians?
- Restoring the losses from the locusts
- So that we might know God
Chapters 2:28-3:21 The Greater Day of the Lord Revealed – the Judgment of the Nations
- Quoted in NT
- Ac 2:16-21
- Spirit on all flesh
- V 30-31 – God changes the order of things
- Christ will come to save Jew and Gentile alike
- 3:1 – Bring the exiles of Judah and Jerusalem – the people of God
- 3:2 – Valley of Blessing (2Chr 20) or Judgment?
- 3:3-13 He judges the sins of the nations
- 3-6 Note the sins
- 7-8 Judgment
- 9-13 They try to fight God
- 3:14 – God is deciding about the nations – the Day of the Lord
- 3:15 – God is changing things: there will be a final judgment
- 3:16 – God saves his own people, but not the heathen. The land will be holy, and they will know that the Lord is God.
- V 21 – Salvation “And I have declared their blood innocent, That I did not declare innocent, And Jehovah is dwelling in Zion!”